CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER (CFO) PROGRAM
Emerge as a successful CFO primed to drive transformative financial growth
The Duke Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Program is an extensive 8-month multi-modular program designed to shape visionary financial leaders into transformative agents who can steer their organizations towards success in an increasingly uncertain global business arena. This immersive program will offer a deep dive into the multifaceted world of modern finance, that will equip participants with the tools to navigate complex financial decisions and emerging trends. Under the guidance of world-class Fuqua faculty and through the cutting-edge curriculum, the program will empower finance leaders with the knowledge, skills, and insights necessary to drive transformative financial growth within their organizations.
With this program, you will explore the frontiers of financial leadership, gain the tools to identify and tackle emerging challenges, and gain the expertise to thrive as a judicious CFO in today’s dynamic corporate landscape.
of CFOs chose evaluating finance strategy, scope and design as the top priority, followed by planning and sequencing finance transformation activities.
Source: Gartner Survey 2023
of CFOs say their organizations will make greater use of automation and digital technologies for operations.
Source: Deloitte CFO Signals 4Q22
Upon completion of the Chief Financial Officer Program, apart from becoming part of the CFO Program community, you will become an integral part of the global Duke Executive Education network. Additionally, you will receive select premier benefits as part of Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business*:
- The Duke CFO Program certificate from Duke Executive Education and Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business
- Inclusion in The Fuqua School of Business alumni LinkedIn network – a private group with 15,000+ alumni members
- Inclusion in Fuqua’s alumni directory with access to online searching for networking opportunities
- Receive the monthly alumni e-newsletter, Team Fuqua Flash, from Fuqua’s Alumni Relations team
- Access to Fuqua’s alumni events and webinars
- Access to Fuqua’s Ford Library while on campus
- Ability to post targeted career opportunities for your organization through Fuqua’s Career Management Center job portal – accessible by Fuqua students and alumni only
- Inclusion in the Duke University alumni directory and the ability to join Duke’s affinity, industry, and regional groups
- Access to create a Duke lifetime email address
- 30% discount on future Duke Executive Education program registrations (Global partner programs excluded)
*All benefits subject to change
Duke Fuqua Advantage
Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business was founded in 1969 and, since then, has come to be known for attracting and nurturing a new kind of leader. One who has the power to bring out the strength in others and move teams forward toward a common purpose. Our global community is prepared for and thrives in an environment with differing viewpoints.
We foster a leadership style that inspires entire organizations to do better while doing what’s best. As a business school, we don’t just teach societal leadership, which is a core function of business; we live it through our own business practices.
With internationally renowned thought leaders on our faculty, research centers, and a collaborative culture, Duke Fuqua has quickly risen to become one of the world’s premier business schools.
You will come away from this Chief Financial Officer Program with an expertly put-together skillset, including invaluable insights and perspectives to spearhead financial leadership and adapt to the dynamic advancements. With this program, you will be able to:
- Understand strategic risk management for CFOs and develop the capability to recognize and seize growth opportunities within the ever-evolving financial landscape
- Acquire expertise in advanced financial decision-making skills rooted in data-driven strategies tailored specifically for financial leadership
- Envisage the role of the latest technologies such as Web3/Crypto, Fintech, Cybersecurity, AI/ML and other digital tools to drive innovation and transformation in the financial sector
- Create a blueprint for mergers and acquisitions and lead its implementation
- Understand how private capital markets operate and develop the perspectives required for financing and payout decisions
- Empower finance – driving innovative change in finance through digitization, big data, advanced analytics and disruptive financial technologies
- Understand global contemporary issues in taxation and accounting
- Cultivate agile leadership skills to navigate ambiguity and uncertainty
- Cultivate exceptional communication and negotiation skills that are critical for financial leadership and managing interactions with the board of directors
- Build and lead high-performing diverse teams for the global organization
Who Should Attend
The Chief Financial Officer Program is designed for forward-thinking financial executives entrusted with leading financial strategy, driving organizational growth, and achieving excellence in financial leadership.
- Significant experience and demonstrated career progression and success across levels, including:
- CXOs, Directors, Presidents, VPs, etc.
- Managers of managers
- Senior functional managers and business heads
- Individuals with outstanding careers and leadership roles in a variety of settings
- A strong drive to succeed and aspirations for reaching beyond the obvious career milestones
- Demonstrated ability to adapt, learn, and apply new knowledge in varied situations
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience in functional, technical, or business roles
- A graduate degree with a strong academic track record is preferred
- Fluency in written and spoken English
The program is delivered by Fuqua’s world-renowned faculty, who are leading scholars in their fields and passionate about their work. Known for their teaching and research expertise, they are visionaries in their respective fields. You will have an unparalleled learning journey as they enrich your experience with practical insights.
Academic Program Director
Prof. John Graham
D. Richard Mead, Jr. Family Professor
Professor John Graham is the D. Richard Mead, Jr. Family Professor of Finance at the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University. Since 1997 Graham has been the director of the Global Business Outlook (http://www.cfosurvey.org), a quarterly CFO survey that assesses the business climate and topical economic issues around the world. He appears regularly in the media to discuss the survey and corporate sector.
His past work experience includes teaching at the University of Utah and seven years working as a senior economist at Virginia Power. He has been co-editor of the Journal of Finance, associate editor of The Journal of Finance, The Review of Financial Studies, Finance Research Letters, and Financial Management, and has served on the board of directors of the American Finance Association, the Western Finance Association, and the Financial Management Association, three of the largest academic finance professional organizations. Graham is currently President-elect of the Financial Management Association and has been President of the Western Finance Association, is a Fellow of the Financial Management Association, and is a research associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research.
Program faculty may include*:
Bratton Family Distinguished Professor of Finance
Associate Professor of Finance
J. Paul Sticht Professor; Professor of Finance; American Finance Association Fellow; Duke-CFO Survey Founding Director
Professor of Decision Sciences
James and Gail Vander Weide Professor of Finance
J. B. Fuqua Professor of Finance
Professor of Finance
Professor of Accounting
Professor of Law
F. M. Kirby Professor of Finance
Martin L. Black Jr. Distinguished Professor of Business Administration
*Program faculty is subject to change
The CFO Program is purposefully designed for seasoned financial professionals and leaders who want to work towards cultivating a forward-looking mindset and driving organizational success through strategic and informed financial planning. The extensive curriculum encompasses essential topics that equip participants with strategic, analytical, and managerial competencies vital for thriving in today’s dynamic financial landscape.
Evolving Technology Trends in Finance
- New Frontiers in Finance – AI/ML, Web 3, Cybersecurity
- Leveraging Big Data for Financial Analytics
- Fintech Evolution – The Financial Services Industry Transformation
Strategic Capital Investment & Human Capital Investment
- Future-proofing the Organization: Strategic Investment Management
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Strategic Financial & Payout Decisions
- Risk Management
- Debt vs. Equity
- Dividends & Repurchases
Global Issues in Accounting, Tax, and Governance
- Contemporary Issues in Taxation and Accounting
- Communication and Managing the Narrative with Analysts and Investors, Journalists, Crowd-sourced
- Governance & Interacting with Activist Investors
- Using Financial Statements Ratios for Assessing Company Performance and to Benchmark against Peers
Finance Strategy in a Global Context
- Key Value Drivers and Competitive Advantage
- Navigating Global Financial Markets, Currency Fluctuations & Inflation
- Legal and Regulatory Compliance in Finance
- Agile Leadership through Crises, Ambiguity & Uncertainty
- Executive Presence and Influence
- Interacting with the Board of Directors and driving strategic negotiations
- Leadership, Ethics and driving dynamic high-performing teams
- CFO as Strategic Partner to CEO
- ESG Reporting & Climate Finance
Funding Innovation & Private Capital Markets
- How to Fund Innovation
- How Private Capital Markets Work
Financial Reporting Analytics
- Strategic Finance: Using Big Data and Finance Analytics to Improve Financial Decision-making
- Discretion in Accounting and Financial Reporting Analytics
This Chief Financial Officer Program is an extensive learning experience with a blend of classroom modules and live online modules designed especially for busy working professionals in the field of finance. Designed meticulously to meet the specific needs of finance professionals who are ready to lead their organizations through the rapidly evolving landscape of financial leadership, this program is led by sought-after Fuqua faculty. Through this program, you will be able to enhance your global network as well as establish valuable connections with fellow financial leaders who, like you, are deeply committed to shaping the future of financial leadership.
The program follows a simple 3-step application process. The step-by-step process is outlined below.
The program follows a simple 3-step application process. The step-by-step process is outlined below.
- A resume in Word or PDF format
- Two professional references to discuss your candidacy in detail
The program fee is USD 26,000 inclusive of all taxes. It covers teaching fees, all academic materials, lunches, and select dinners (one hosted dinner during each campus immersion module).
The fee does not include transport expenses (domestic and international), any associated visa fees, etc., nor accommodation for modules and/or workshops. It also does not cover any other expenses that are not expressly mentioned.
The deadline for this round has passed
USD 1,600 early registration benefit
March 23, 2024
USD 1,200 early registration benefit
April 20, 2024
USD 800 early registration benefit
May 25, 2024
USD 400 early registration benefit
June 22, 2024
July 20, 2024
- The application fee for the Duke CFO Program is USD 200.
- The application fee is refunded only in the case an applicant is not offered admission to the program.
About Duke University
Duke University traces its origins to a small school that opened in 1838 in Randolph County, North Carolina. The university has changed in many ways since its founding, and today, the ever evolving Duke University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate, masters, doctorate, and professional degrees.
Our vision for the next decade is “to grow, connect, and empower diverse and inclusive communities of excellence to enhance the creation, delivery, and translation of knowledge for a rapidly changing world.”
About Northwest Executive Education
Duke Executive Education collaborates with Northwest Executive Education on program design, outreach and delivery to build this program into a transformational experience for global participants. Northwest works in close collaboration with prominent universities and schools to deliver high-quality executive education programs that offer relevant, contextual, and global learning experiences.